Sunday, October 30, 2011

October 30th



Hell, I wasn’t even a good drunk. It didn’t really matter to me then whether or not I drank perfectly… oh, I suppose I might have attempted to be a connoisseur; i.e., good beer, fine wines or fifty year-old scotches, at one time in the distant past but, especially in the last twenty years of my drinking, I preferred plain ole Budweiser and Jack Daniels. That was as sophisticated as I wished to get towards the end. It didn’t matter to me because I drank for the affect.

Today, in the Fellowship of Alcoholics Anonymous, I strive to be true to myself and not to buy into impressing other people with how well I work the program. After watching so many come and go in the program; most of whom worked it so much better than I, the understanding that, as long as I can face my difficulties with a certain amount of aplomb, and, even failing that, stay sober one day at a time, I’m beating the odds. The bonus comes when I am able to pass on to others this message: I have had a spiritual awakening sufficient to relieve me of the obsession to drink as the result of these Steps. The program is that simple to me.

geo
4,521                                                                                                                                                      

No comments:

Post a Comment