Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Each Step I Take

Tuesday, September 10, 2013:
I like to walk alone on country paths, rice plants and wild grasses on both sides, putting each foot down on the earth in mindfulness, knowing that I walk on the wondrous earth. In such moments, existence is a miraculous and mysterious reality. People usually consider walking on water or in thin air a miracle. But I think the real miracle is not to walk on water or in thin air, but to walk on earth. Every day we are engaged in a miracle which we don’t even recognize a blue sky, white clouds, green leaves, the black, curious eyes of a child --- even our own eyes. All is a miracle.
Thich Nhat Hanh; Miracle of Mindfulness
&

The latest estimation of the age of the universe is estimated by cosmologists to be about 13.5 billion years. It seems that this approximation is just a stab in the dark to those of us ignorant of the physics that came up with that time span… after all, physicists have been wrong in their estimations so many times before. But, for me, the universe did not exist before I came into consciousness. If I am honest with myself, it all begins and ends with me! 

   Of course, I can look out at the cosmos and I can actually see that the earth I stand on is but a tiny speck orbiting around the sun on the outer edge of a spiral arm of our galaxy (which is but one of hundreds of thousand billions in the known universe). But ,in actually, as far as my consciousness is concerned, I really am the center of my universe. Others simply orbit around me like astrological signs. I know that my perceptions about myself are so very wrong when I do the math… but do I act that way? Do I bother to consider that I am but a speck in human history… that the day will come when I go back into the void out of which I came?

If I were to achieve a certain amount of fame and fortune in this span of time… this bardo… this place between the inhaling and exhaling of billions of breaths of what we think of as God, how long will I be remembered… A couple of hundred years… A thousand years…? Perhaps my name will be remembered a millennium or two if I achieve the greatness of the Christ or the Buddha. Or I might become infamous if I perpetuate the atrocities of a Khan, a Hitler, or an Alexander. But, for most of us, our memory only lasts as long as our grave markers. How can I consider these things without sinking into despair?

This what I call, a cosmic bind. I can fantasize about life everlasting out of desperation or I can accept the reality of the now… this footstep I am taking here… this one of thousands here and now as important as my first one that was celebrated by my parents only a short time ago. Here I am and the miracle I need is now. The Heart of Compassion is everywhere and every atom of my being is replicated in a cosmic hologram throughout the universe. So must be my consciousness independent of the mortal coil that comes and goes with each breath in the wonder of a child's eyes.
geo 4,461


No comments:

Post a Comment