Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Wheel of Karma

Sunday, September 1, 2013:

My father is in the hospital with an infection in his leg. I am grateful that I got to see him and let him know how much I love him yesterday. He is on the third floor the day my grand-niece delivered a boy on the first floor. I believe that Dad would have had a laugh at that. He still has his signature sense of humor. He has a hard time talking... is easily confused and frustrated. I told him that I'm not much at hospital conversation and he immediately replied, "Neither am I." Like I said, he has a  great sense of humor. From my own experience I know that just because folks can't talk doesn't mean they aren't there, eh?

Hospitals… This past summer I have been visiting hospitals far too much for my taste but I simply go where my love is. Don’t we all? Several family members were there in both rooms… Little Hudson must feel a warm welcome to this world. My Dad is on the other end of the wheel of karma, as his experience must be preparing him (and us) for his passing. One is born and another… I know he has a considerable amount of bounce-back. No, I’m not crossing him off as of yet… but circumstances prepare us, and him, for that eventuality.

            Everything seems to have a harmony about it and I can accept that no matter what.

To little Hudson, I say:
Welcome to our world. I know we have made a bit of a mess of it before you got here but we are doing the best we can to make this place as good as it can be for you. 

   But don't you fret about it. You are okay for this moment... eat well, sleep well... cry when you need something. Mom will be there for you. A few years from now you will be able to break free of the nest and fly to your own destination... but rest easy, Boyo,... that is all in the future. 

   For now all you have to do is grow into a healthy young man. On the way you will learn many things but you really only need to know one with two parts to get on well in this world: Be kind to yourself and to others. That one thing is a lot bigger than it looks at first sight, but don't you fuss about it. Lean on that principle and you will find that the rest falls in place. I learned that much from my Dad and Mom and I pass it on to you. Thanks for coming into the world just on time.

geo 5,452

No comments:

Post a Comment