Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Know Yourself

The purpose of studying Buddhism is not to study Buddhism, but to study ourselves.

Shunryu Suzuki;
Zen Mind, Beginner’s Mind

&

It is always a challenge. This morning I checked my e-mail to see a notice from my bank that my account is overdrawn. It seems that Monday $42 was withdrawn and paid to Center Stage Theater. Maybe I bought tickets for someone in my sleep? I don’t know anything about it. I am on a very tight budget, down to the dollar by the end of the month. I do pretty well with this and am diligent about avoiding that $34 overdraft fee but when it happens I am devastated. I have to shave off expenses wherever I can to make up for any loss or extra charges.
            This is a case whereby I have done nothing wrong and, if the system works as it should, I will get a refund and the overdraft fee will be dismissed. So, my task today is to brace myself for the shock if the bank or the Center Stage Theater do nothing to remedy the situation. Take a deep breath and put out positive energy… know thyself. Can I allow such petty nonsense to upset the applecart of serenity in my heart? That is the challenge. Can I still grow compassion and deal with the problem sanely and reasonably? If I can accept that to do so doesn’t come naturally, I can rely on the Heart of Compassion, a Power greater than my own proclivities, to grant me the stability to do so.

geo 5,520

No comments:

Post a Comment