Thursday, October 24, 2013

Pain, Grief, Loss, and Ceaseless Frustration

Pain, grief, loss, and the ceaseless frustration of every kind are there for a very real and dramatic purpose; to wake us up, to enable, almost force us to break out of the cycle of samsara and so release our imprisoned splendor.
Glimpse After Glimpse
Sogyal Rinpoche
&

Pain, grief, loss, and frustration have a why attached to the beginning of the phrase until I break through to where pain is pain because it is pain; grief is grief because it is grief; loss is loss because it is loss; and frustrations of every kind are frustrations because they are frustrations. It really is as simple as that. Isn’t it better to ask what caused the pain rather than why the pain and the rest are there. Once that is understood something can be done about them. I’m stepping out of the spiritual corral when I say this but the basis of Western science is that asking why is useless; that solutions arise from understanding causes. It just might be that the why of a flat tire is nothing more than what caused it; that the air leaked out and not that God wanted me to stop and smell the roses or find an arcane higher purpose. Or, as the Zen saying goes; when I am hungry I eat; when I am tired I sleep; when I am thirsty I drink.

geo 5,515



No comments:

Post a Comment