Thursday, December 26, 2013

Compassion vs Condescension


This is the season in which the idea of compassion is expressed most openly. This is a time of the year when we are encouraged to do the two most powerful exercises required for the development of spiritual muscle: the practice of introspection at New Year Eve... honing ourselves evaluating the year that has passed... resolutions for the year
ahead. And continual practice of  running on the treadmill of compassion. 

Pity is often exploited by those in need and it can irritate us. I.e., when passing through Oregon a couple of years ago, every rest stop along I-5 seemed to have someone with a sign that read "Need money for Gas!" I know that it is a racket and it peeves me somewhat. In fact, it ought to. I love the scene from The Hunchback of Notre Dame, the "alley of miracles", the beggars threw off their crutches and Esmeralda danced, after a hard day begging upon entering the alley?

Does compassion compel me to respond out of guilt or do I see myself in the fellow that is simply down on his luck? Once spiritually fit… muscles honed through the vehicle of meditation I become centered and am not so easily manipulated. I can see those who do need help while others are, well, out of kindness I can say, clueless. If I allow myself to feel taken advantage of, eventually, I will cease helping others. I won’t find only pity and no compassion at all for those I might have truly helped. Instead, all I have done was to salve my guilt and grant me a sense of righteousness that was void of any compassion at all. Condescension, mistaken for compassion does more harm than good.

             Compassion can translate into giving a sandwich to a panhandler, caring deeply for his wellbeing, instead of coin that might be used to go for a jug of wine. Then again, a coin might be given knowing full well what it is going for because I know what its like to really need a drink.

geo 5,568

No comments:

Post a Comment