Monday, February 17, 2014

Loving Kindness

It is with gratitude that I look back on my past and think of all the small gestures of kindness that got me through. The simple light of hope stayed kindled just because someone simply smiled or gave me shelter when I had no home. I have found loving kindness from high and low. I don’t have to think long and hard to remember a Christmas dinner, the books on the shelves, the kind hosts, and the house on Addison Street in Berkeley some forty plus years ago. I don’t have to strain to recall them but I do have to give some extra effort to bring up incidents whereby the opposite occurred. I can recall only a little of the pain, the heartbreak, the disappointment of rejection and grief caused by indifference, hatred or fear. Those dark clouds have passed and, when my mind is opened with strong emotions of loving acts of kindness, I am still impressed and gratitude encourages me to be kind if I want to be remembered. Let resentment slip away if I will and allow my soul to be embraced by the Heart of Compassion in which there is no fear disappointment, despair, or hatred.

geo 5,619

No comments:

Post a Comment