Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Om/Amen

Amen: Old English, from Late Latin amen, from Ecclesiastical Greek amen, from Hebrew amen "truth," used adverbially as an expression of agreement (e.g. Deut. xxvii:26, I Kings i:36; cf. Modern English verily, surely, absolutely in the same sense), from Semitic root a-m-n "to be trustworthy, confirm, support." Used in Old English only at the end of Gospels, otherwise translated as SoĆ°lic! or Swa hit ys, or Sy! As an expression of concurrence after prayers, it is recorded from early 13c.



Om: mystical word in Hinduism, Buddhism; an utterance of assent, 1788.

֍֍֍


I've wondered if the words Om and Amen have anything in common; after all, they are both affirmations. We usually think of Amen as an affirmation: i.e., “So be it.” Not being an etymologist I just Googled up a couple of snips at the word. I do believe that the word, Om, is as undefinable as the word God or the word Love. We all know what we think we mean by it but, when asked, most of us would impose a variety of definitions we have been taught through the lens of culture.

Most of this crap can be nothing more than mental masturbation. I prefer to drop all that and simply use the word as Paramahansa Yogananda did as a conscience raising vibration in his Metaphysical Meditations: “O infinite energy, infinite wisdom, recharge me with thy spiritual vibration.”

There are often times when I think all this spiritual stuff is nothing more than a bunch of mumbo-jumbo but then, in the morning, I sit on my cushion and begin my usual prayers with an Om. My spirit lifts a bit and, by the time I get to the end of my prayers or chants, I am ready to meditate. My battery is recharged and, for the most part, I go about my day ready for whatever comes. I don’t have to define God or Om. It is enough to connect with the Heart of Compassion and for my feet to get grounded. Amen.

geo 5,613

No comments:

Post a Comment