Sunday, August 26, 2012

Acceptance Was the Answer

“And acceptance is the answer to all my problems today. When I am disturbed, it is because I find some person, place, thing, or situation ---- some fact of my life unacceptable to me, and I can find no serenity until I accept that person, place, thing, or situation as being exactly as the way it is supposed to be at this moment…. I need to concentrate not so much on what needs to be changed in the world as on what needs to be changed in me and in my attitudes.”

Acceptance Was the Answer

Alcoholics Anonymous: p. 417
(Or, for the old school, the3rd edition’s
title in Alcoholic Anonymous:
Doctor, Alcoholic, Addict
p. 449)

~

 Since around 1977 I have been receiving, every August near the 23rd of the month, a bit of a bonus check from the V.A. No matter how broke I am I can always afford to take my annual trip to Northern Idaho for a family get-together on Labor Day weekend. When the check wasn’t direct deposited in my account this last week I flipped-out. It was Saturday and I couldn't even call the V.A. to find out if there was a problem... whether the check would be deposited at all, or if it would be be there in time for the trip. Thanks to my mate, I came back down to earth after fussing, worrying and flying off-the-handle at the slightest provocation. She simply said, “Let go of it. It is in Gods hand and there is absolutely nothing you can do about it today.” The truth of that fact finally sank in… I was powerless to do anything at all and I just had to let go for the day. To tell the truth, I didn’t let go ‘til I got to a meeting. The topic was “Acceptance”. When called on to share, I heard myself, honestly let my fellowship know what was bugging me. I only have to let go for today… one day at a time. That is about all I can handle... a day at a time.


geo 4,867

No comments:

Post a Comment