Friday, August 10, 2012

Mindfulness

THE HEART
OF THE
BUDDHA
By Chogyam Trungpa

Mindfulness is the basic approach to the spiritual journey that is common to all traditions of Buddhism. But before we begin to look closely at their approach, we should have some idea of what is meant by spirituality itself. Some say that spirituality is a way of attaining a better kind of happiness, transcendental happiness. Others say that it is a benevolent way to develop power over others. Still others say the point of spirituality is to acquire magical powers so we can change the world through miracles. It seems that all of these points of view are irrelevant to the Buddhist approach. According to the buddhadharma, spirituality means relating with the working basis of one’s existence, which is one’s state of mind.
The Four Foundations Of
Mindfulness (pp. 21-22)

*****

   One of the greatest impediments to this whole bit about spirituality for me was what I thought of as all the garbage I thought went with it. Indeed, I do find all kinds of New Agers in the Fellowship that bring to the practice their crystals, meditation cushions, aura readings and so on. I can’t really criticize these things because I see these things work for them. However, I find it enough to simply touch on some clarity of mind. Maybe I will walk on water… but for now it is enough to simply be able to treat others as I would like to be treated. Tapping into this clarity has tremendous power that can best be seen through practice. Humility, grace, awareness or mindfulness is where and when I am present… no longer practicing but becoming… being: here and now. To breathe… to see… to smell… to hear… to feel the air around me and to be aware of my pulse and my connection to the cosmic dance… that is the essence of meditation and spirituality to me. These open me to the suffering of others; an open awareness that is the Heart of Compassion not because I pity them but because others are not separate from me.

geo 4,851

No comments:

Post a Comment