Monday, February 11, 2013

Order vs Suggestion

STEP TWO: Came to believe that a Power greater than ourselves could restore us to sanity.

Given the choice between an order and a suggestion, the recovering person will go for the latter every time. I know I did. There is even a finer line drawn in the first three words of this step. It does not say that we believe… but rather that we came to believe. The difference between these two approaches is dramatic and, for many of us, downright miraculous. For many of us it was a miracle that we came to!
The Zen of Recovery:
Step Two,
Mel Ash
~
There is a neo-gothic Episcopalian Grace Cathedral on top of Nob Hill in San Francisco. The most precious moments of my youth were spent sitting in the wonder and the beauty of that huge quiet space in which my spirit was transported. At that time, in my young and inquiring mind, I was agnostic at best and atheist the rest of the time. I had yet to suffer the bruising onslaught of bad choices that arose from the consequences of a life exploring and stretching the envelope and limitations of unrestrained ego. I was there… more naïve than innocent, but certainly not of evil character... I was there wholly in a state of awe. I came to believe, not so much in God, but I came to believe years later, in the suggestion that a Power greater than myself was an active and restorative spirit personally invested in my sanity. Once more, I reflected back on those special moments and could deeply understand what this phrase meant once the obsession to drink was lifted. No sermon or command could have done the job. It had to percolate from the depths of my heart. This is where the Heart of Compassion met me half way and filled to overflowing the vast cathedral of my soul with awe and wonder.
geo 5,259

No comments:

Post a Comment