Sunday, February 17, 2013

The Web of Illusions

As we follow the teachings and as we practice, we will inevitably discover certain truths about ourselves that stand out prominently. There are places where we always get stuck; there are habitual patterns and strategies that are the legacy of negative karma, which we continually repeat and reinforce; there are particular ways of seeing things --- those tired old explanations of the world around us --- that are quite mistaken yet we hold to be authentic; and so distort our whole view of reality.
    When we persevere on the spiritual path, and examine ourselves honestly, it begins to dawn on us more and more that our perceptions are nothing more than a web of illusions. Simply to acknowledge our confusion, even though we cannot accept it completely, can bring some light of understanding and spark off in us a new process, a process of healing.
Glimpse After Glimpse,
Sogyal Rinpoche

!!!
There is always the temptation, when I read or hear statements such as these made by our prominent teachers, that I wish the guy next to me would hear this wisdom and that, just because I agree with it, it does not apply to me. But the web of illusion describes my thinking, my ideals, my beliefs, my perceptions, my social values  and even my political views. Just as it would be as foolish as it would be fatal for a general to ignore the reality of the field information contrary to his plans, it is foolish for me to see the world through the lens of illusion. My number one illusion is that I have understood and thus transcended the teachings; that I have heard and applied them thoroughly to my life; that I have the answers; that I see things clearly and others just don’t; that they have drunk the Cool-Ade and I sneer , shout, protest and condemn from the sidelines!!! Why then, I might ask myself, why then is there so much suffering in the world if everyone is right in their own mind? The answer is obvious isn’t it? No, it must not be so obvious because almost everyone thinks like I do; that the other guy is foolish in his own eyes but I have gotten things straight. Or, as it says in the old King James Bible: “There is a way that seems right unto a man; but the end thereof are the ways of death.”(Proverbs 16:25).
geo 5,265

No comments:

Post a Comment