Monday, September 24, 2012

Eat When Hungry

101 ZEN STORIES
80
The Real Miracle


When Bankei was preaching at Ryumon temple, a Shinshu priest, who believed in salvation through the repetition of the name of Buddha of Love, was jealous of his large audience and wanted to debate with him. Bankei was in the midst of a talk when the priest appeared, but the fellow made such a disturbance that Bankei stopped his discourse and asked about the noise.
    “The founder of our sect,” boasted the priest, “had such miraculous powers that he had a brush in his hand on one bank of the river, his attendant held up a paper on the other bank, and the teacher wrote the holy name of Amida through the air. Can you do such a wonderful thing?”
    Bankei replied lightly: “Perhaps your fox can perform that trick, but that is not the manner of Zen. My miracle is that when I feel hungry, I eat, and when I feel thirsty, I drink.”

ZEN FLESH,
ZEN BONES

Compiled by Paul Reps
And Nyogen Senzaki


~

This has to be my favorite of the Zen stories because Bankei’s response is so reasonable. When I look for miracles of the sort that defy reason, it is too far a reach for me. Even if I followed a spiritual practice, sect or guru who could levitate or create the scent of lilacs out of thin air, it would be beyond my abilities now and a nonsense that would, if I could, be nothing more than an ego-centric exhibition of power. But if I can eat and drink when hungry and thirsty, perhaps the miracle of recovery isn’t too far for me to grasp. Instead of encouraging and enabling me to shed my neurosis, the alternatives for me would create little more than discouragement and to give up trying or submit to a slavish devotion to the “Master”. If the path I am on recovers in me a healthy treatment of my physical and spiritual body, then the shackles of ego fall away naturally. To breathe; to appreciate what I have now; in this moment; to do what is before my hands here; to do the dishes; to sweep my side of the street; and to reach out to help a fellow human being is miracle enough… one day at a time.

geo 5,123

No comments:

Post a Comment