Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Let the Sunshine

The mind is something more radiant than anything else can be, but because counterfeits --- passing defilements --- come and obscure it, it loses its radiance, like the sun when obscured by clouds. Don’t go thinking that the sun goes after the clouds. Instead, the clouds come drifting along and obscure the sun.
Ajaan Mun: HEART RELEASED

~

I like to think that, when the mind is spoken of in some spiritual disciplines in the East, they are talking about the same thing as I speak of referring to a Higher Power. Regardless, that is how I look at it and I like that idea because it allows me to relax and take a deep breath knowing the “mind” is something I, not only have access to, but participate in. The “radiant mind” is always there once I get out of myself… out of the way. My mind and “the mind” are not separate entities having their own agendas. What we call the ego’s mind is mostly what Westerners think of when we speak of “the mind”. It is important to me to know that I have some control over my thinking and behavior. What I have no control over… the passing clouds that obscure it… with humility and patience, can be given to the greater mind of the Heart of Compassion.

geo, 5,125

No comments:

Post a Comment