Sunday, September 30, 2012

WISDOM and INSTRUCTION

To know wisdom and instruction, understand words of insight, receive instruction in wise dealing, righteousness, justice, and equity; that prudence may be given to the simple, knowledge and discretion to the youth ---
The wise will hear and increase in learning, and those of understanding acquire skill, to understand a proverb and their deeper meaning, the words of the wise and their riddles.


The Proverbs of Solomon
Verses 2 through 6

~


I sit and meditate before reading the words of a few scriptures, Buddhist texts, reflections and sometimes the Bible. I have to clear my mind before I read because it is in the quiet that I am inspired. For me, morning meditation isn’t simply quitting the noise between my ears. It is more a sweeping away of distractions and opening my mind to instruction. I love these Sunday mornings because there is are two programs on the radio here that usually touch and inspire me. One is a Gospel program with various choirs whose voices lift and take me out of myself. Then there is another program, Alan Watts, that can be an intellectual discourse on Eastern Philosophy or instruction on meditation. It is important for me to focus on one practice but be open to the wisdom of others. I don’t ever wish to become one of those people with time in practice that never listen to other people but pontificate at every opportunity… sometimes nonstop. Looking for that which we have in common cannot be done when I do all the talking. It is a skill to practice listening… whether it is high spirituality or base political opinion. I learn to sit with myself and laugh at the discourse of opinion in my head and listen for the Heart of Compassion.

geo 5,129

No comments:

Post a Comment