Monday, August 5, 2013

Mindlessly Mindful

Monday, August 5, 2013:

When you let go it is like cutting a kite from its cord. But even without its cord, the kite still comes back, like a parachute landing on you. You feel a sense of fluidity and things begin to circulate so wonderfully. Nothing is being dealt with in any form of innuendo, or in undercurrents. There is no sense of someone working the politics behind the scenes. Everything is completely free flowing. It is so wonderful --- and you can do it. That is precisely what we mean when we talk about genuineness. You can be so absolutely good at giving, and so good at taking. It is interesting.

Training the Mind;
The Main Practice,
Chogyam Trungpa

&

It isn’t so very difficult to be mindful but, thwarted by self-centered motives, mindfulness slips through my fingers like cupping water to drink. It is there one minute and, if I try to hold on to it, my hands will be empty before I can drink of it. When I give, am I giving to feel good about myself or do I give to simply give? If I am thirsty, I drink. When a need is there that needs filling, I fill it, when I am acting without strings attached to my actions. Mindlessly mindful, the stream flows through my cupped hands and I lift the refreshment in cupped hands to my mouth without pausing to think of how my thirst will be quenched. Whether or not it will be quenched doesn’t matter in the moment. Whether or not I will be any happier with myself as I give doesn’t matter either. Free of guilt for not giving, as well as feeling righteous for giving, are no longer attachments that turn charity into a self-aggrandizing egoism. The words of the Carpenter apply well in this case: “When you do alms, let not thy left hand know what your right hand does.”(Matthew 6:3)


geo 5,424

No comments:

Post a Comment