Friday, August 2, 2013

The Sweet Music of Service

Friday, August 2, 2013:
PSALM 190
A psalm of praise

Make a joyful noise unto the Lord, all ye lands.
Serve the Lord with gladness: come before his presence
with singing.
Know ye that the Lord is God; it is he that hath made us,
and not we ourselves; we are his people, and the sheep
of his pasture.
Enter his gates with thanks giving, and into his courts
with praise; be thankful unto him, and bless his name.
For the Lord is good; his mercy is everlasting; and his truth
endureth to all generations.
Psalm 190
King James Version
&

I’ve found useful truth in the Bible, even though I usually have to degenderize references to the “Lord” and so on. I also believe that it is within our consciousness that we find the cosmic reality of a Higher Power and that this implies that we are co-creators… participants of creation. Putting those differences aside, I can enjoy the meaning of this psalm. While worship is a serious and respectful practice, it isn’t as solemn as some would insist. Joyful music, grateful creativity and pleasure, with a song in my heart, elevates me from the drudgery of our practice from it being a religious obligation. Taking my religious beliefs, and myself, lightly leads me to draw the conclusion that most of the harm religion has done arises from taking ourselves and our beliefs far too seriously. Approaching service joyfully is hard to do without a sense of gratitude and humility. It is also hard to sustain such humility with any endurance without a connection to a Power greater than ourselves. It is wise for me to remember that even angels couldn’t fly if they didn’t take themselves lightly.

geo 5,422

No comments:

Post a Comment