Thursday, August 8, 2013

Spiritual Pride

Thursday, August 8, 2013:

We scarcely need to be reminded that guilt or rebellion leads to spiritual poverty. But it was a very long time before we knew we could go even more broke on spiritual pride…
The Best of Bill;
Humility, p. 39
&

False pride and false humility are siblings… conjoined twins. One leads to the other in some sneaky ways that others can spot in us pretty easily but, more often than, not I am blind to its corruption in myself. I find it amusing that it is so very common among political or religious true believers to see it in the opposition but are willingly blind to it in themselves. I have found that this blindness cripples me and that maiming extends all the way up the ladder to the way my other beliefs are employed. It is important that I don’t chide myself for getting pumped up in false pride but to see instead how it began with a real and honest pride that was earned in some cases. Otherwise, I can slip into false humility about what I have actually accomplished.
            A good example of this was how shocked the public was when Cassius Clay boasted, “I am the greatest!” and then proceeded to deck Sonny Liston in the first few minutes of the first round. Not only were we taken aback by his proclamation of greatness but were stunned when, as Mohammed Ali, he displayed his ability in the ring before our eyes. Afterwards, he didn’t shy away with an “Awe shucks,” but took credit for what he did to reaffirm his self-appraisal. Had he not acknowledged what he’d done, he would have limited himself with false humility in our eyes. 
           Maybe this example is a bit obscure... False pride evolved from his early evaluation later in his career when he faced George Foreman. That is another story and I don't want to get lost in this analogy. I just love thinking about how Cassius Clay shook up the white establishment of his day... decked "the Bear" and, added to us insult to well deserved injury, to become Mohammed Ali. Yes, I might be the only person now that can admit to betting against him twice back then.
            The poverty of false pride or humility creates obstacles that thwart spiritual progress. I try not to get into my evaluation of it in a moral sense, thus creating unnecessary guilt. We are admonished to strive for spiritual progress and to stay away from striving for spiritual perfection. Nothing of any value at all can be accomplished without taking pride in my labors; to strive always to improve my skills and to never become satisfied with less than that while I am able makes life enjoyable and worthy of a pride that transcends the mundane. There will come a time when age takes away physical and mental agility and strength to persevere. The door shuts but it does me no good at all to accept limitations imposed by a misguided sense of false humility. Spiritual progress is contingent on practice… practice… practice… while I am able. I practice now so that when all my other God-given talents dissipate with time and the only choice left for me is to go out a grumpy old man or a gentle and compassionate one.

geo 5,428

No comments:

Post a Comment