Thursday, November 22, 2012

Depression

… it may appear that  A.A. consists mainly of racking dilemmas and troubleshooting. To a certain extent, that is true. We have been talking about problems because we are problem people who have found a way up and out, and who wish to share our knowledge of that way with all who can use it. For it is only by accepting and solving our problems that we can begin to get right with ourselves and with the world about us, and with Him who presides over us all. Understanding is the key to right principles and attitudes, and right action is the key to good living; therefore the joy of good living is the theme of A.A.’s Twelve Steps.
Twelve Steps and 
Twelve Traditions, p. 125
~

When I put aside the bottle and the pipe I thought all my problems would be over… that relationships would be restored… that my bank account would grow… that everything would improve. I didn’t expect these blessings to happen overnight either. I just thought that God’s time was a bit slow and, at times, I felt as though this sobriety business was futile… life still sucked. It is confirmed in the approved history of A.A., that the co-founder of A.A., Bill W., wrote the Twelve Steps and Twelve Traditions (pp. 352-353 of Pass It On) while suffering a deep depression and everything in his life appeared to be going quite well. A.A. was catching on and the fellowship was preparing for the first World Conference, but he was still depressed. What I got out of reading about this was how important it is to make myself useful in such times regardless of how I feel. At sea in a storm, a ship steams ahead with just enough power to keep the bow against the waves lest it flounders. I learned from my time at sea, that, when it is futile to forge ahead at full steam, I need to slow down, face the storm and keep my vision directed. Understanding and facing my problems is how I keep directed and know that the storm eventually passes... there is safe harbor ahead.
geo 5,178

geo 5,178

No comments:

Post a Comment