Thursday, November 8, 2012

Fetters of the Beast

Where there is great ignorance, are the fetters of the beast.
Hundred Thousand Songs
Selections of Milarepa:
Poet Saint of Tibet 
~

There was a time when I would read a statement like this and suppose that it is about all the others and surely not me. But, of course, this would be wrong because I now know that the beast is never too far from me and ignorance awaits in every situation… every choice I have to make… and every time I take a toxin in the form of drugs or alcohol… when I rely on religious or political dogma… or the accumulation of material satisfactions to salve the pain of the realization of my suffering… I too can become driven by hatred and avarice… irritable and annoyed at the call of the awakening.

    The sage said that life is a veil of tears and desire is the cause of all suffering. It is important that I acknowledge this and proceed to do something about it. Ignorance of this fact does nothing to alleviate it (in this case ignorance is not bliss) and once I understand this, the veil of ignorance fades. As I practice meditation, the beast recedes and awakening goes past the suffering into a blissful peace. No longer being bowled over by circumstance, and taking action on it, I enter into the realm of the Heart of Compassion. As I practice, I begin to open up to a state of mind in which I intuitively know what once baffled me. Putting my own house in order takes me to a place where God is able to become more than an abstract concept into a dynamic personal relationship.
geo 5,164

No comments:

Post a Comment