Sunday, November 18, 2012

Love & Tolerance: Melding

Morihei Ueshiba: Founder of Aikido
The most difficult spiritual principle is love and tolerance. We think we have it until we run into someone who has wronged us personally and this extends to those we oppose or distrust, (ethnically, religiously, socially or politically). I believe that this happens because we have been indoctrinated to some degree to believe that our tribe is right and all others are flawed. Religious intolerance is probably greater than political but they both have fear as the tap-root that goes down much further than what we can immediately see.

    How much of what I believe is founded on the basic fear that my personal failures have been caused by some vague and mysterious "other"? If I take a good look at myself I can uncover much of what is unproductive and disagreeable to what I thought of as enemies. Seeing where "they" are wrong isn't enough. How can I bridge the gap and salve those who would force their ideals on me?

    My warrior heart tells me that I must stand my ground no matter what: especially when violence is the method used against what I suppose is "me"(my beliefs). But I believe I can learn much about myself and those beliefs if I apply what is called "melding" in Aikido. Melding is the best way to practice real love and tolerance in an often violent and oppressive world where life and limb are threatened. The focus of the clear and open looseness that arises from meditation practice applied to resolving conflict centers me in the heart of my body and out of the confusion that ricochets around in my head.
geo 5,174

No comments:

Post a Comment