Thursday, November 15, 2012

The Flip-Side of Pride

Today I think I can trace a clear linkage between my guilt and my pride. Both of them were certainly attention-getters. In pride I could say, “Look at me, I am wonderful.” In guilt I would moan, “I’m awful.” Therefore guilt is really the reverse side of the coin of pride. Guilt aims at self-destruction, and pride aims at the destruction of others,
    This is why I see humility for today as that safe and secure stance midway between these violent emotional extremes. It is quiet place where I can keep enough perspective, and enough balance, to take my next small step up the clearly marked road that points toward eternal values.
The Best of Bill:
Humility, p. 47
~
Guilt is a step beyond, but related to, false humility. False humility is easily spotted by anyone I am trying to help. My pride can be easily discerned; therefore, honesty is the best policy but honesty is a goal that is hard to reach if I suffer self-delusion. Guilt is one of those multilayered motivating factors that color many of my actions I take when I think such actions are on the behalf of another. I.e., serving Thanksgiving Dinner from behind a table at the local homeless shelter is a good thing no matter what the motivation but to do so to salve the guilt would work against me. It is best to resolve guilt in private before taking a position there and to forgive myself of pride rather than smugly standing in service. I know from personal experience that many on the receiving end of such gratuitous actions are cynical about the motives of those who have given time and effort at doing so. When I stand with ladle in hand to dish out the gravy I am better off doing so in the spirit of humility. I can do so if I resolve guilt before serving.
geo 5,171

No comments:

Post a Comment