Thursday, November 29, 2012

Sensitivity... the Receiving Set

To be sensitive is good, because sensitive people are aware of a thousand interesting or beautiful things where the obtruse person gets nothing. To do any creative work you have to be sensitive, because the creative worker is a “receiving set” for divine mind.
Excerpted from p.333:
Around the Year with
Emmet Fox
~
The Buddhist teacher, Sogyal Rinpoche, wrote in today’s meditation that the nature of mind is like a mirror with five powers of “wisdom”. I think Emmet Fox would agree because in the reflection I cited above he speaks of the creative powers of the sensitive person. What Fox calls “intelligent” use of sensitivity, the Rinpoche calls “the wisdom of “the womb of compassion”; the “mirrorlike wisdom”; the “equalizing” wisdom; the “wisdom of discernment”; and “all-encompassing wisdom”.

    Buddhists usually profess that there is no belief in
“God”, or gods, fundamental to the practice of the discipline. I do hear of the masters teaching of self and “Self”… mind and “Mind”. The confusion of using the word “God” is what sets us in the West apart but I see it differently because, when examined thoroughly, we speak of spirits that influence us. The spirit of love/anger; spirit of desire; and so on, this compels me to conclude that what is spoken of by Buddhists as the “all encompassing spirit” is what we call God over here. God is, after all, whatever we esteem higher than us. At one time my God was the bottle. But my spirit was lifted out of that morass when I contemplated, and acted, on the spirit of compassion. I am guided by the spirit of divine discernment and understanding; thus, I became more sensitive to whatever spirit I held up before my aspirations. In doing so my mind became a receptor to a Power greater than myself. I call that power the Heart of Compassion because it is that spirit that smashed the temple of my obsession to self destructive addictions.

     The proverb says it best: “Wisdom is the principle thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all thy getting get understanding.” Proverbs 4:7

geo 5,185

No comments:

Post a Comment