Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Put Your Hand To The Plow

Never look back. Always go right ahead. Even if you are quaking, go right ahead. Jesus said the man who puts his hand to the plow and then turns back, is not worthy of the Kingdom of Heaven. He also said: Remember Lot's wife (Luke 17:32).
    No matter how unattractive or how dangerous the road ahead may be, it is better than the road back. The road ahead may be veiled from sight --- but you must teach yourself to regard the unknown as friendly. Remember that God is always on the road ahead.
    …. cause me to know the way wherein I should walk; for I lift up my soul unto thee (Psalm 143:8).
Around the Year
With Emmet Fox, p. 324
~
"Put your hand to the plow and hold on..."
Anonymous,
Gospel Spiritual

It doesn't take much effort to see the wisdom in leaving the past where it belongs. Not many of us have had the experience of holding on to a plow and being damned near dragged along by a horse or team of oxen… and, at the same time, turning up a perfect row or furrow. It takes practice and I don't believe that the Carpenter meant that one is "not worthy" as much as it means that one needs more training… more practice… more experience. However, it does take a mentor to guide me in laying down an even furrow: nothing trumps experience… for good or bad. That business about "worthy" was probably thrown in later by a more rigid interpretation than mine of spirituality. But, I agree that meditation practice works out in much the same way as plowing a field to help it become productive and useful. 

    The mind is an unplowed field for most of us. Once I have put my hands to the plow, there is no looking back or romanticizing the past. Acknowledging my past isn't to be mistaken for looking back and longing to return to it. In the rooms of AA, and working with others, I often relate my experience where drugs and alcohol took me. I must take an inventory of my past actions too…and, as my day ends, I can review where I have been and what I have done. In doing so I am plowing a furrow next to the one I put down before without wavering into it because it then becomes a reference to where I am going. There are very few things as beautiful to me as a newly plowed field: i.e., see Bruegel.

geo 5,176

No comments:

Post a Comment