Friday, November 1, 2013

Are You Serious?

Taking life seriously does not mean spending our whole lives meditating as if we were living in the Himalaya Mountains or in the old days in Tibet. In the modern world, we work to earn our living, but we should not get entangled in a nine-to-five existence, where we live without any view of the deeper meaning of life.
            Our task is to strike a balance, to find a middle way, to learn not to overextend ourselves with extraneous activities and preoccupations, but to simplify our lives more and more. The key to finding a happy balance in modern life is simplicity.
                                                                                                                              Glimpse After Glimpse,
Sogyal Rinpoche
&

Everything in moderation doesn’t translate to giving up my passion. It is a mistake to think that life and art are separate entities. Life and art grow from each other in the same manner that grass needs water and soil. My heart needs inspiration lest I fall into mediocrity. It is a error, in my opinion, to dismiss our passion thinking that spirituality is about chasing guru’s or seminars. Once you get it, you get it… it is then time to move on. I loved the period of time I lived on the mesa above Arroyo Hondo New Mexico with a group of brave explorers of a higher consciousness. Those days have passed and they can no longer be recovered. I won’t go to Tibet and New Mexico is out of the question for now. Love holds me here in Santa Barbara but that doesn’t mean that I have to sink into the granola spirituality of Southern California. We take a hard-core look at work and play… Commitment to craft and excitement in play make for a grand life. My aim today is to live a grand life where play and work cannot be distinguished from each other. Even if that work would seem to be below me, I have given myself and my time to it. Why not have some fun doing it? It is AA’s rule 62: Don’t take yourself so damned seriously.

geo 5,523

No comments:

Post a Comment