Saturday, November 9, 2013

Bringing the Mind Back Home

Meditation is bringing the mind back home, and this is first achieved through the practice of mindfulness.
            Once an old woman came to Buddha and asked him how to meditate. He told her to remain aware of every movement of her hands as she drew water from the well, knowing that if she did, she would soon find herself in that state of alert and spacious calm that is meditation.
Glimpse After Glimpse,
Sogyal Rinpoche

&

The idea of meditation is to become mindful and being mindful can’t be done by ignoring the little things. Ignoring the little things can lead me off the path into all sorts of delusional behaviors steeped in neurosis. Neurotic behaviors are those that are behaviors which are blinded by a selfish determination to control everything around me. This insensitivity… this unawareness, is based on fear and grasping for the past or the future. Being aware now… in the here and now, translates into being awake and not in a trance as we often think of what we do when we meditate. My experience with meditation isn’t about magic tricks; mindfulness is about conscious contact with all and everything: the Heart of Compassion. I have no problem with other forms of meditation… with other creeds or forms of prayer: if one wishes to levitate and do other fantastic things, this is fine with me. However, once I found myself in a desperate bind, I needed to have conscious contact with a Power sufficient to lift me out of the morass that had rendered me powerless. As the gospel verse goes: “When no one else could help, God lifted me.”
    Heaven isn't a place beyond my reach as a reward for righteousness. Nirvana is always present withing my own heart. When I meditate and become completely absorbed in mindfulness, I am back home where I belong.

geo 5,531

No comments:

Post a Comment