Saturday, November 2, 2013

Shedding the Ego

In becoming an enlightened being, this does not destroy the living being, or take it away, or lose it; nevertheless, it does mean having shed it.
Dōgen; Rational Zen

I take that the living being is another way to say the ego. I have attended sessions where folks talk about crushing, smashing, and destroying the ego. Nonsense! Isn’t it better not to set myself up for failure than to attempt somehow to come to some sort of agreement with it by letting go of it?Just the act of trying to destroy the ego is a form of self-righteousness that leads to all sorts of abuses of power... not to mention abuses of my material body. Using doctrine, or a set of oughts and ought nots, I can pick up the mantel of a cause and with the arrogance of a true believer completely disregarding the opinions and beliefs of others. Yes, even as I am writing, I’m thinking of others out of the loop on this, erroneously believing it isn’t about me. But it is. Shedding the ego can be the simple act of being kind and understanding to others even when they are nasty and vindictive about my core beliefs. We pray that our President and Congress would come to some sort of understanding on this before the nation sinks into a morass we can’t get out of.

geo 5,524

No comments:

Post a Comment