Sunday, November 24, 2013

Religion/Discipline/Spirituality

A UNIVERSAL SEARCH

Puleeeeze!
Be quick to see where religious people are right. Make use of what they offer.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 87

I do not claim to have all the answers in spiritual matters, any more than I claim to have all the answers about alcoholism. There are others who are also engaged in a spiritual search, if I keep an open mind about what others have to say, I have much to gain. My sobriety is greatly enriched, and my practice of the Eleventh Step more fruitful, when I use both the literature and the practices of my Judeo-Christian tradition, and the resources of other religions. Thus, I receive support from many sources in staying away from the first drink.
DAILY REFLECTIONS, p. 337

&

The word, religion, translates as, a spiritual discipline: one becomes a disciple of a person that embodies a spiritual concept (or simply the spiritual concept itself). When I used to say, “I’m not religious, I’m spiritual,” what I was actually admitting was that I had no discipline about my spirituality.  This was, by definition, not true if, in fact, I did have a practice I followed through with. Was I cutting my way through the jungle, trying to get to the mountaintop, without a map or taking any well-trod path? In this context, one might say that AA is a religion, though it claims not to be.

            AA has a discipline outlined in the Twelve Steps… a dharma, if you like, but I have come to believe that, for all practical purposes, I ought to drop the use of the word religion altogether. I do so because the word, religion, is confused at times with what we know of as “organized religion”. So, what is wrong about an organized spiritual discipline if the ultimate goal is to harm no one? I have even dropped the word God in exchange for a description of what is called God. By calling God, the Heart of Compassion, I cut through the baggage of the word God because I surely don’t wish to turn anyone away from the boundless treasure I have found on the way to the Heart of Compassion.

            Another part of this reflection was about AA not having all the answers in regards to alcoholism. The practice takes me to a vantage point where I can see that AA is but one path out of many. It has proven to be most effective for me but for others it just might not work. Every human being is an individual and I have found through the years that it is futile to try to cookie-stamp anyone into my way of believing. Worse than futile and counterproductive, it is destructive and doesn’t help at all on any level. This goes for my attitude about drinking. There are people who can smoke pot or have a few cocktails at the end of their day and it harms no one. Who am I to say that this is wrong? Just because I can no longer imbibe doesn’t mean that I have to demand anyone else ought to get on the sobriety bandwagon. Some of the best people I know smoke a joint, enjoy a drink, even get drunk, once in a while. Who am I to take away their pleasure or look down my nose at them?

            The idea here is that I mind my own business and try to be as helpful as I can towards anyone who wants what I have found. It is as simple as this, keep it simple and mind my own business.

geo 5,536

No comments:

Post a Comment