Thursday, November 21, 2013

Relax and Breathe

There are times as I look back on my life with all its flips and flops and feel nothing but regret for how much time I have wasted in fear and resentment. I look back at other times with pride for the smallest accomplishments. It seems to me that neither of these perspectives are objective and can’t be analyzed without some sort of distancing or elevation. I have to take the time to sit with myself. Meditation is often thought of as meditating on an ideal, a word, or mantra. But the most effective practice I have found for the distancing is simply to relax. The Little Red Book (published by Hazelden) speaks of this on page 106:
We attempt to momentarily suspend all mental and physical activity. We try to relax our entire bodies, then close our minds to the worries and anxieties about us.
            What do we think about? Just relaxation. Then we let go of our cares and turn to God with this simple prayer: Thy Will Be Done.
When i do that "Something tells me I'm onto something good..."


geo 5,533

No comments:

Post a Comment