Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Happy New Year

Starting my New Year with this reflection puts 2014 in order for me. To begin it this way is the first step towards an acknowledgement of a truth I have owned through bitter experience. To look at life through the prism of despair would seem dour to those who have not passed through it but, to those of us who have, it is the benchmark of a joyful and miraculous recovery. Were it not for this fact I would have no faith at all in spiritual remedies. It was in this state… this physical and mental state… that my ego was set aside enough to allow the Heart of Compassion to get a foot in the door.

            Tributary to this thought is one I have held about certain spiritual paths that use our excesses as one way to “get it”. I was mistaken, as many are, to believe that these indulgences were the path of the “good life”. I had no understanding that my debauchery was only a tool used break my ego down enough to attain it. This turned out to be a dangerous and a near fatal error in my case. This life of hedonistic indulgence led to a meaningless one where I threw up my hands and cried out in despair, “What’s the use?”

Most of us who have passed through this stage have no regrets about it except, of course, for the damage we have caused those we have harmed. Would it have been better for all of us had I been able to take a more moderate course? I suppose so… but this is how I got where I am today and I am grateful for that. It is called the breaking point or hitting bottom in the literature of recovery… (Terms exploited in Alcoholics Anonymous). It is echoed beautifully in the Poetry of Saint John of the Cross: The Dark Night of the Soul. It is the place of beginning; the starting point of a spiritual awakening.

geo 5,570

No comments:

Post a Comment