Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Squiggly Things Squirm

A powerful and vast sea appears to rest quietly beyond the horizon where its deeps are hard to perceive.The mind is a sea beyond the horizon of my limited perception. If only there were a bathysphere to plunge into the Mariana Trench of an obscure consciousness. Is there really any way of knowing anything for sure… especially things like God, the mind, life beyond death or before birth? The best I can do is to float along on the surface in a boat that can be tossed about by emotional storms and gales of circumstance that come out of nowhere. I try to navigate the shoals and sometimes have to toss the storm anchor of faith on a thin chain of hope into the maelstrom to keep the bow of my very small boat determined against the waves.

Sit, wait for the weather to clear... for the seas to calm... for the waters to magnify the depths where squiggly things swim... ahhhh. It is worth it. If I fear the hazards of the adventure, I might as well never leave the shore. After all, the breakers look so very nice from the beach and the squiggly things wash up now and then.

Ah, I get carried away with the metaphor, I think I'm so clever. Carried away with my cleverness, I babble on... trying to work these things out for myself. Then I post them and look back embarrassed at the cheek of thinking my opinion means anything to anyone other than myself. Maybe if I had the surety of an answer it might have a meaning for someone besides myself. But, it is that kind of surety that churns the gall in my gut and I refuse to go there until I know the squiggly things by name.

No comments:

Post a Comment