Friday, January 3, 2014

The Wound That is The Mind

In the same way that someone in the midst of a rough crowd guards a wound with great care, so in the midst of bad company should one always guard the wound that is the mind.

Sāntideva; Bodhicaryāvatāra 5.19

&

To think of the mind as a wounded organ explains its sensitivity to the influence of the company I keep. It isn’t so much that I ought to avoid or shun the so called “bad crowd”, but rather that I protect my mind from negative and destructive group think… or, the group conscience. I have to become alert and aware of fearful and divisive complaining and gossip if I am to maintain a positive outlook. To always look towards healing is sometimes a difficult thing but it is a must if I am to have equanimity of spirit and open to the higher calling of grace.

The Saint Francis Prayer advises that, if I am to be a channel of peace, these suggestions prescribe what is required of me: Where there is hatred, I bring love; i.e., resist the temptation to pile on more fuel for the fire. That where there is wrong, I may bring the spirit of forgiveness. Forgiveness is a most important and subtle principle because I am drawn into all kinds of abuses by preaching against the wrongs of others instead of first forgiving them where they err. This is easy to do when the differences are minor but when the conflict is between questions of more sensitive issues, my peace is challenged. Consequently, it comes as no surprise that the next phrase of the prayer suggests that I bring harmony to discord. In other words, I am to seek out where we can agree. If the dispute is due to an error of judgment or thinking then I must seek the truth… even when the truth is not friendly to my cause. It takes faith to overcome the doubt that arises out of this suggestion but faith is the answer that dispels despair with hope… brings light to the shadows… and elevates sadness to joy.

To seek comfort rather than to be comforted… to love than to be love… to understand than to be understood… these are remedies prescribed for the healing and protection of the wound that is my mind.

geo 5,572

No comments:

Post a Comment