Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Little Obstacles

When little obstacles crop up on the spiritual path, a good practitioner does not lose faith and begin to doubt, but has the discernment to recognize difficulties, whatever they may be, for what they are --- just obstacles, and nothing more. It is the nature of things that when you recognize an obstacle as such, it ceases to be an obstacle. Equally, it is by failing to recognize an obstacle for what it is, and therefore taking it seriously, that it is empowered and solidified and becomes a real blockage.

Glimpse After Glimpse
Sogyal Rinpoche

~

I suppose it is what combat vets would call “good under fire”… or, in civilian terms, “keeping one’s head”. It is where fight or flight and the classical “deer in the headlights” are intimately related as counter-productive. Neither fighting, fleeing, nor being immobilized by fear, can work to little avail in these situations but this is where learning to pause when agitated or doubtful comes into play in a powerful way. Instead of leaning into a problem or bending over backwards, I can stand and observe impassively… the answers will come if my own house is in order. 

This is nothing more than well intentioned advice leading to further frustration at failure to keep my peace if I do not prepare myself in advance as best as I can. A good practice usually takes in an inventory at the end of the day to keep an objective eye on assets and deficiencies. Where did I attack when I should have listened? Where did I freeze out of fear? How could have I looked for a solution instead of compounding the problem? 


Upon awaking the day begins with meditation resulting in emotional balance. Emotional sobriety is even more important than abstaining from bottle or pill. Emotional balance is the humility to see myself as I am under all circumstance. Am I always emotionally balanced? If I were at all times in control of my emotions I’d have no need for inventory or meditation. So, therefore, I sit.

geo 5,149

No comments:

Post a Comment