Thursday, October 4, 2012

We Are Made of Stardust

Read Psalm 18.
    In verse 28 the Psalmist moves to another phase of teaching. Wilt thou light my candle: the Lord my God will enlighten my darkness.
    Many similes have been offered by religious teachers to illustrate the relationship between God and man. One of the best known and most helpful is to think of man as a spark from a great fire, which is God. The spark is not the whole of the fire but it is part of it, and therefore of the same nature, and possesses, potentially, all the characteristics of the parent fire. It can ignite many things upon which it falls, thus producing another fire essentially of the same nature as the original fire.
AROUND THE YEAR
WITH EMMET FOX
p. 277


~
When Carl Sagan first put out the proposition on the PBS program, Cosmos, "we are all made of stardust," the idea became more than a metaphor to me.  Still, I have, at times, difficulty in realizing this in spiritual terms when I think of myself as a bag of skin that contains George. The concept deepens when I come to understand that even the bag of skin called George is made of the same stuff that the rest of the universe. The energy that the universe is made of is as close to eternal as I can grasp with a finite mind. There are times I see this connection and those are usually when I am eye to eye, on equal footing, with another human being having an earnest desire to help each other. These are precious moments that I have the opportunity to experience daily if I wish. I am the spark that ignites the fire in the heart of my fellow alcoholic or addict but these aren’t the only ones I can connect with. I can do so with family and friends, or even those who confuse and confront me. I can do so with everybody I come in contact with if I can only get out of myself long enough to listen and share what has been given so freely to me.

geo 5,123

No comments:

Post a Comment