Sunday, October 7, 2012

Thoughts Have Density

Most people indulge in some form of daydreaming. There is no harm in this so long as such daydreams are positive and constructive in character. You are always thinking, when you are not asleep, and you know that it is in the selection of your thought that your destiny lies.
    Do not let your daydreams take the form of escape from actuality. A daydream is an evasion when it consists in fantasying something pleasant that nevertheless you believe could never happen. Such a daydream debilitates the whole mentality.
    Some people daydream about all sorts of unpleasant things. They rehearse imaginary quarrels, imaginary injustices, accidents, and misfortunes, and because they do not believe such things could happen, and because thought is creative, they actually bring them upon themselves.
    See to it that your daydreams are concerned with such happenings you would really like to find in your life. Know that anything good is possible; remember the creative power of thought; and your daydreams will come true.
    A double-minded man is unstable in all his ways (James 1:8).
Around the Year
With Emmet Fox
~
A dear friend of mine often said, “Be careful what you think because thoughts have density.” Whenever she said this I reacted with a smirk because I thought she was engaging in a form of magical thinking. After all, isn’t it what I do that is important and not what I think? A drunk can’t think himself sober… can he? There has always been an aspect of positive thinking throughout our culture but in AA it is commonly said, “I couldn’t think my way out of drinking. I had to take action in order to change my thinking.” And furthermore they say, “It matters more how I act and not what I think” when it comes to misdeeds and their relationship to angry or resentful thoughts. I have been known to call these people Action Jacksons but I know there is a mountain of truth to what they say. It takes such action to treat any disease in order to get to treatment in the first place but, once there, it is essential that I am positive about what I am doing. Very often what I do from the time I begin is brought about by how I think. Thoughts do have density and when I “curse my fiddle my fiddle will go sour.” What I believe about myself can color everything I do. Circumstances I thought I had nothing to do with brought about unforeseen consequences that takes time and effort to unravel where my troubles originated. I might have acted out of self-pity or self-aggrandizement because of erroneous thinking that undermined everything I tried to do to correct myself from there on. So, I ask myself, "Why prayer and meditation if my thinking is of so little importance?"

geo 5,136

No comments:

Post a Comment