Friday, October 19, 2012

Powerlessness

The principle that we shall find no enduring strength until we first admit complete defeat is the main taproot from which our whole Society has sprung and flowered.

TWELVE STEPS AND
TWELVE TRADITIONS, pp. 21-22



It isn’t like I haven’t tried... maybe I haven't given everything a shot but this one is the one that worked for me. The first step is where it all started and, once I had been crushed… that damned ego smashing moment… the obsession to drink was lifted. Was it miraculous? Was there a hand of God in this phenomenon? I believe that is what did it… just the idea that there might be a Power greater than myself able to do anything about my problem with alcohol opened a window to slip in. That just happens to be the second step in which I came to believe. And, having been crushed, I was able to turn my will and my life over to this wonder… this beautiful mystery… this surrender that became the fresh breeze that entered my soul as the result of the defeat that opened the window. Light and air enough to clean up my consciousness followed easily after that. It just isn’t enough to give up… it is something, however, to give up and follow the spirit of forgiveness… the Heart of Compassion.
geo 5,145

No comments:

Post a Comment