Monday, April 29, 2013

Charity

By giving, merit grows, by restraint, hatred’s checked.
He who’s skilled abandons evil things.
As greed and folly wane, Nibbãna’s gained.

From 365 Buddha,
Compiled by Jeff Schmidt:
Digha Nikãya ii 136
&
 All of the dragon slaying, high horse ranting and railing against injustice is but a mockery compared to one, no-strings-attached, act of charity. I don’t mean ya’ don’t have to donate a huge sum of money and get a plaque on the wall of a hospital. It has to do with something so kind and covert that I don’t even notice I’m doing it. I don’t need to pat myself on the back to take credit for it if I know in my heart of hearts that it is just as natural as breathing. A mother doesn’t have to think about bringing her child to her breast; then, why do I have to think about being kind? Spiritual practice to me is about honing natural instincts into listening; feeling; nurturing; walking with other human beings; and extending that love and care to other sentient beings. Doing this spontaneously without hesitation or compelled by guilt is the apex of spiritual development. In the meantime, I can at least be kind to myself.
geo 5,335

No comments:

Post a Comment