Thursday, April 25, 2013

Where I put my Feet

George Herriman Aug 22, 1880 to Apr 25, 1944
He who heads the Path in earnest
Sees not the mistakes of the world;
If we find fault with others
We ourselves are also in the wrong.

The Sutra of Hui Neng
365 Buddha
Compiled by Jeff Schmidt


&

Does it do me or anyone else any good at all to stick my head in the sand and ignore the foibles of the world? On the other hand, what can it do for me to get upset, judgmental and self-righteous over them either? When I sit with such statements made by Hui Neng, or any other so-called master, I have to pause and ask how I can apply them to my life. Do I stay on the path wearing blinders like a mule on a perilous mountain trail? Clarity is about awareness… to see things as they are… to see myself as I am… to pay attention to where I put my feet… how I behave around my fellows. Can the world do without my judgment? Can the way I live my life work better than the passionate bitterness over world affairs? Truthfully, I respect those who voice their concerns with conviction over the environmental and social crisis facing us all because I can see that at least they are paying attention. The next step, however,  is to take my convictions to heart and to live my life accordingly.
geo 5,330

No comments:

Post a Comment