Saturday, December 8, 2012

Letting Be

Chogyam Trungpa
There have been a number of misconceptions regarding meditation. Some people regard it as a trancelike state of mind. Others think of it in terms of training, in the sense of mental gymnastics. But meditation is neither of these, although it does involve dealing with neurotic states of mind. The neurotic state of mind is not difficult or impossible to deal with. It has energy, speed and a certain pattern. The practice of meditation involves letting be ---trying to go with the pattern, trying to go with the energy and speed. In this way we learn to deal with these factors, how to relate with them, not in the sense of causing them to mature in the way we would like, but in the sense of knowing them for what they are and working with their pattern.
From: Cutting Through
Spiritual Materialism;
by Chogyam Trungpa, p. 9
~

I consider meditation a heightened state of awareness that is expansive… and not at all expensive. So many rush from one teaching, exercise regimen, or spiritual practice, to another:…one day it is TM; another day it is Zen meditation;… another day they find Jesus;…yoga;… pilates;…a martial art;… an AA group;… a sponsor;… a guru;… a club;… and even a political movement. Each of these is fine. It is possible to excel in any of these and find something of value… but do I really get anything other than a salve for my ego if I don’t stick to one and sit with myself for a minute? Meditation is not a paper towel I discard after using it once. It is a continual practice that opens my mind wider only as I keep at it. I sit as though I’m watching. I’m not waiting for anything to happen because it is already happening. I am feeling, smelling, hearing as fully as I can… my breath… the breeze passing… the sound of an airplane overhead… seeing the brush move in the distance as a deer cautiously peeks through. My heart beats and I breathe… it becomes as simple as that. This is a good place to start and it certainly is where I finish.
geo 5,194



No comments:

Post a Comment