Saturday, December 1, 2012

Start All Over

The beginner’s mind is an open mind, an empty mind, a ready mind, we might really begin to hear. For if we listen with a silent mind, as free as possible from the clamor of preconceived ideas, a possibility will be created for the truth of the teachings to pierce us, and for the meaning of life and death to become increasingly and startlingly clear.
    My master Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche said: “The more and more you listen, the more and more you hear; the more and more you hear, the deeper and deeper your understanding becomes.
Glimpse After Glimpse
Sogyal Rinpoche
~
I had to hit bottom to have what the Buddhist teachers call “beginner’s mind”. I’m not so sure everyone has to “hit bottom” in the same sense I did but that is how I got where I am today. It is in this place of complete humility and open-mindedness where the awakening I experienced revealed itself to me. The beginner’s mind doesn’t mean that I stay where I was that day but it does mean I carry into my daily activities the same spirit… free of preconceived ideas of what it meant and an open-minded acceptance. Spiritual teachings all seemed to be just a bunch of Sunday school platitudes until this place… this sitting and listening… this hearing ‘til I heard the truth of the teachings that pierced my consciousness were awakened in my heart.

      Of course, my experience tells me it wasn’t long until I stood on my own two feet and laughed… perhaps even mocked the appearances of sanctity of others… took back some of the pride and ego that closed my inner ear… fear and hesitation stymied my vision… took back pride in my progress. So, I  still do
have to sit… to meditate in “the calm” and clear away with the whisk broom of consciousness… sweeping away the delusion… so that I can understand the teachings… so that my pulse beats the 12 Steps and the Dharma of this awakening. This is the beginner's mind. Time sober and long term practice doesn't count for beans in this place... only the beginner's mind... open mind, empty mind... ready mind.
geo 5,187

No comments:

Post a Comment