Friday, December 21, 2012

San Juan De la Cruz (1542 to 1591)


*****

WITHOUT A PLACE

Without a place and with a place
to rest, living darkly with no ray
of light, I burn myself away.

My soul, no longer bound, is free
From the creations of the world;
above itself is hurled
into a life of ecstasy,
leaning only on God. The world
will therefore clarify at last
what I esteem of highest grace:
my soul revealing it can rest
without a place and with a place.

Although I suffer a dark night
In mortal life, I also know
My agony is slight, for though
I am in darkness without light,
a clear heavenly life I know;
for love gives power to my life,
however black and blind my day,
to yield my soul, and free of strife
to rest, living darkly with no ray.

Love can perform a wondrous labor
which I have learned internally,
and all the good or bad in me
takes on a penetrating savor,
changing my soul so it can be
consumed in a delicious flame.
I feel it in me as a ray;
and quickly killing every trace
of light, I burn myself away.
With a Place and Without a Place
San Juan de la Cruz
(@ 1542 to Dec. 14, 1591)
~
For the longest night of the year, Winter Solstice, my offering today is this poem by my mentor in hard times. He teaches that it never gets so bleak that the Heart of Compassion can’t reach my soul. If fact, it is in those dark nights of the soul that this Spirit draws nearest.
geo 5,207
 

No comments:

Post a Comment