Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Prior Contempt

Faith commissioned it/Science built it.
The Bible mentions the existence of an unforgivable sin, and this has greatly frightened innumerable Christians.

    Let us be absolutely clear upon one point. There is no sin that a human being can commit that God will not forgive but there is one sin that he cannot forgive until we make it possible. This sin consists in shutting ourselves off from fresh inspiration or guidance from God, if your mind is already made up about everything pertaining to God, if you decide that you now know all the truth, and that you could not be mistaken; then it will not be possible for the Holy Ghost to open your eyes to error and lead you into higher truth. Naturally, as long as this is your state of mind, no help or improvement can come to you, and in that sense only is your sin unforgivable --- unforgivable while it lasts. When you change your attitude, enlightenment will come, and the sin will be destroyed.

    Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come to him, and will sup with him and he with me. (Revelation 3:20)
Around the Year with
Emmet Fox, p. 346
~

     We call it in AA, “Contempt prior to investigation.” To the scientific mind the idea of  God is a throwback to a time when so much was unanswered and what the Nuns told me was “a mystery”. There have been several inroads attempted to change the minds of scientists presented in theories like Creationism and so on. So much of it is the hammering of scientific facts to fit within a box of preconceived notions about the nature of God. I have come to believe, in a very basic manner that dismisses all this distortion and leaves me open minded to whatever the scientific method reveals. Science is mistakenly thought to be a set of answers and religionists scramble around to find facts that still remain mysteries. 

     I see science is a method and its conclusions are not set in stone. Answers from this method are organized from collections of facts that become theories. From this method of experimentation and the mathematics of logic, some theories hold more water than not because they are repeatable and these theories are the basis for all the industrial and technological miracles of the day. 


     All I know for sure, from personal experience is that; when I called on the Heart of Compassion… the Big Kahuna… from the depths of my heart, something happened to me that has happened to others down through the ages. I won’t call this experience consistently repeatable because the depths of the heart are unknown, but it was a sure thing that it put me on the path. It took a leap of faith, but once taken, there was no turning back.

geo 5,198

No comments:

Post a Comment