Saturday, December 22, 2012

Seeing the Way

Simply keep putting everything down, and know that that is what you are doing. You don't need to be always checking up on yourself, worrying about things like 'How much samadhi' --- it will always be the right amount. Whatever arises in your practice, let it go; know it is all uncertain, impermanent. Remember that it's all uncertain. Be finished with all of it. This is the Way that will take you to the source --- to your Original Mind.
Ajahn Chah;
Seeing the Way

~

A prayer I recite every morning goes like this:

Everything changes… everything passes… Things appearing… Things disappearing… and when all is over… everything having appeared and disappeared… being and extinction both transcended… still the basic emptiness and silence abides and that is blissful peace.

    I was told, years ago, that every cell of my skin is replaced in a few years. This says something to me about impermanence in a way that is very real. I think that money does that too. One day I have some and, very shortly after, I have none. My clothes wear out and that face looking back at me in the mirror is hardly recognizable when I compare it to pictures of my youth. Thinking about this can be depressing until I realize that I am on the great procession of life and this is how it goes for every one of us. Fearing change and fearing death is a cultural obsession and, if I desire to be free of that obsession, I must embrace change, even death, as much; not more… not less… than I love the smile and laughter of a precious child.
geo 5,208

No comments:

Post a Comment