Saturday, December 15, 2012

The Buddha Prayer



By the power and the truth of this practice
May all beings have happiness, and the causes of happiness;
May all be free from sorrow, and the causes of sorrow;
May all never be separated from the sacred happiness which is sorrowless;
And may all have equanimity; without too much
attachment and too much aversion,
And live believing in the equality of all that lives.
Prayer offered by
Sogyal Rinpoche today  in,
Glimpse After Glimpse
~

In light of yesterday’s tragedy, I pause today. This is not the time for answers… this is a time for grief. Before I allow myself to escape, from the heart to the head, I must grieve. That computer behind the eyes and between the ears does the job of theorizing and compiling information towards action but it behooves me not to go there in times like these because it is when these horrible incidents occur that I am tempted to bypass the heart and go straight to the head. As I watched the day unwind, I can admit that my mind searched for a reason… I am almost ashamed to admit that my head, searching for answers, hoped the murderer would have been an Islamic extremist… a radical extremist of some sort... someone with a motivation… someone to blame… something to be outraged about. But when the truth unraveled that it was just another one of us whose lid had blown… my God, there was no REASON! So I sat and grieved. I just had to allow my heart to take in what had happened to those children and their families… to those teachers and their loved ones… to the family of the soul that walked in the school and pulled the trigger on the innocents… Feel the sorrow and breathe it in… accept that there are no answers at this time. Maybe later when the head can take what the heart has revealed… but not until the heart has healed… in the meantime I must, for my own sanity's sake, keep my heart focused where I can grieve out of respect for those who suffer.
geo 5,201


No comments:

Post a Comment