Friday, January 4, 2013

Active Laziness

Sogyal Rinpoche talks about “active laziness”. His comparison of the East to the West on this subject demonstrates that, in the East, active laziness amounts to “hanging out all day in the sun, doing nothing, avoiding any kind of work or useful activity, drinking cups of tea and gossiping with friends”. Western “active laziness” is another thing altogether. In the West we tend to rush around looking busy… doing important things and cramming our lives with “compulsive activity”.

    I'm reminded of the bumper sticker that reads: “Jesus is Coming – Look Busy!”

Helping others is a good thing but the business of helping others isn’t necessarily so. If I am too busy to search my motives and give freely, with no strings attached, how am I ever going to be useful to anyone… least of all myself?
geo 5,221
   

No comments:

Post a Comment