Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Power Tools

DO I HAVE A CHOICE

The fact is that most alcoholics, for reasons yet obscure, have lost the power of choice in drink. Our so-called will power becomes practically nonexistent.
ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 24

My powerlessness over alcohol does not cease when I quit drinking. In sobriety I still have no choice --- I can’t drink.
    The choice I do have is to pick up the “kit of spiritual tools” (ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, p. 25). When I do that, my Higher Power relieves me of the lack of choice --- and keeps me sober one more day. If I could choose not to pick up a drink today, where then would be my need for A.A. or a Higher Power.
 
DAILY REFLECTIONS, p. 16
~
One of the hardest points to pass on to non-alcoholics is the concept of alcoholism as a disease. At the time Alcoholics Anonymous was formed, little was known about how brain chemistry worked and how some of us are predisposed towards addiction. Personally, it didn’t matter to me one whit whether or not I had a disease:  I was beat up enough to surrender. In fact, I didn’t believe any of the malarkey about that at all. I was simply out of options and no longer cared what others thought about addicts/alcoholics. It didn’t matter to me what I believed either. I was no longer embarrassed about being naive enough to believe in a Power sufficient, and necessary, to relieve me of the obsession to drink. I no longer shirked at the notion I would need to adhere to spiritual principles if I were to be stay sober. It was simple enough to me: I had to pick up the “Kit of Tools" laid at my feet and plug them in. Using them skillfully was another matter altogether.
geo 5,225

No comments:

Post a Comment