Monday, January 21, 2013

The Polestar

I am the captain of my ship of good judgment, will and activity. I will guide my ship of life, ever beholding the polestar of His peace shining in the firmament of my deep meditation.
Metaphysical Meditations
Creative Activity
Paramahamsa Yogananda
###
What is it I am surrendering when I surrender my will to a Power greater than myself? Can it be that I am mistaken to believe that, by taking the action of surrendering my will to God, I no longer have to impress my will on anything... that I abdicate all responsibility? If it worked that way I would be okay with it and I could blame all my problems on God or fate. However, it isn’t that simple. If I don’t take responsibility for how I act, how I treat others, how my thinking and actions reflect madness and floundering with no direction, how can I ever straighten it out and steer towards safe harbor?

However, it seems to be the case that I am responsible for keeping an eye on the benevolence of the Heart of Compassion. If I start my day as a navigator did before GPS by doing what was called “shooting the stars” to get a fix, I can find where I am and where I need to go instead of willy-nilly caroming through life with no direction or purpose. I sit to focus my mind and surrender my will to that direction. When I get confused, angry, disoriented or mired in the squalls that come my way, and no longer can see God’s will, I can take a fix on that direction by checking with my internal compass, the charts and taking on the spot inventory of the circumstances of my despair.

geo 5,238

No comments:

Post a Comment