Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Spiritual Make-Believe

Those of us who have spent much time in the world of spiritual make-believe have eventually seen the childishness of it. This dream world has been replaced by a great sense of purpose, accompanied by a growing consciousness of the power of God in our lives.
Alcoholics Anonymous, p. 130

۞

The Spiritual Carnival of wishful thinking is going on at all times and everywhere I look in the spiritual materialism of our times. I would like to think this was true of myself before I had an awakening but it would be a fantasy to believe that I can’t slip back into it now that I am sober. I guard against such thinking as best I can by taking responsibility for what I do each day and refrain as much as I can from dictating what others do unless I am pushed against a rock and a hard place. I am not a healer… I am not a shaman… I am not a seer or anything else my ego wishes me to believe of myself. I am simply treating the disease of alcoholism and treating this disease depends on a spiritual awareness that focuses on motivations and how I can maximize the potential for mindfulness in all my affairs. I have found that I cannot even imagine doing this free of self-aggrandizement without yielding to a Power greater than myself. This is the power of the Heart of Compassion that transcends all definitions. The Heart of Compassion is approached through humility and willingness to be led into the world of a great sense of purpose, a worker among workers, and a consciousness of the untapped power within.
geo 5,232

No comments:

Post a Comment