Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Mental Vigilance

And those who have no mental vigilance,
Though they may hear the teachings, ponder and meditate,
With minds like water seeping from a leaking jug,
Their teachings will not settle in their memories.
Santadeva Bodhicaryavatara 5.25

<<<|>>>
I love the experience of “getting it”… hearing for the first time verses or teachings that, almost without explanation, suddenly dawn on me. It is as though a veil is lifted and I laugh along with God’s sense of humor. It is the giggle of an infant’s glee at touching running water from the faucet. It is the pure and simple joy of discovery that takes me through the day. Having the teachings to ponder, having the discipline to meditate and so on, are all useless compared to this dawning. How this is accomplished takes a degree of guarding against that which robs the joy out of my life. In AA we have Rule 62 which is: "Don’t take yourself so damned seriously!" That goes for my outlook at the behavior of other people too. My first sponsor in AA would say when he saw other people acting up, “There goes God again!” I had no idea what he meant until I laughed… yes, indeed, there goes God again.
geo 5,240

No comments:

Post a Comment