Monday, January 7, 2013

Our Sameness

One powerful way to evoke compassion is to think of others are exactly the same as you. “After all,” the Dalai Lama explains, “all human beings are the same --- made of human flesh, bones, and blood. We all want happiness and want to avoid suffering. Further, we have an equal right to be happy. In other words, it is important to realize our sameness as human beings.”
Glimpse After Glimpse
January 6
Sogyal Rinpoche
~

It is easy for me to see that those who agree with me are human beings with the same desire for happiness and the avoidance of suffering; and, furthermore, that we are made of the same flesh, bones, and blood. However, it is entirely a different story when I go deeper than these platitudes to consider those whose opinions are not in agreement with mine. A few months ago I took this position of salving rifts on facebook and determined to post about healing instead of the adrenaline addiction to opposition. Of course, I have occasionally slipped from this position; but, when I extend it to politics or disagree on other social issues, once I withdraw from the egoism of trying to dominate a losing debate with demonizing the other side; I become more human and see others as motivated by the same humanity as I am. Can I prefer being human, being happy, and free of suffering, than being so fixed on my opinions that I see others as evil, greedy or ignorant beings? Can I make the connection between my head and my heart? Can I make today about healing over the predisposition to self-righteous anger and polarization that is our bane today in the dialogue on every level. Can I still apply compassionate criticism; seeking commonly agreed on solutions without sinking into blame and finger pointing? It is a hard pill to swallow but I believe I must... for my own sanity’s sake.
geo 5224

No comments:

Post a Comment